Sunday 13 January 2013

Dad's Cornbread (with a gluten free option)

Since I just made some cornbread, and it brings back memories of my childhood, I thought I would add this one to the blog. It is not an original recipe of mine, as my Dad used to bake this for breakast. It wan't until I was an adult that he told me he would bake cornbread for breakfast when he got up in the morning and realized that we were out of bread!! We kids used to think it was a special treat. I usually double this recipe.

What you need: 1 cup cornmeal; 3/4 cup flour, ( I use 1/2 c whole wheat and 1/4 c all purpose, but you can use all of either); 2 tbs sugar; 4 tsp baking powder; 1/2 tsp salt; 1 egg; 1 cup milk; and 2 tbs melted fat or oil. (If I use melted butter I omit the salt).

What you do:  pre-heat the oven to 425* F. grease a small baking pan, 8x8 or 5x9 inch. Use flour or cornmeal to coat the greased pan.  In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients. In a small bowl beat the egg, then add milk and liquid fat. Add all at once to the dry ingredients, then stir until well blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Add 5 minutes if recipe is doubled. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into 2x3 inch pieces to serve.
How we ate it when I was a child - still do, too - Place on a small plate and cut in half across the width, open pieces and spread with butter then top with corn syrup.   Enjoy.

To make this gluten free, replace the flour with a gluten free baking flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment