Saturday 9 March 2013

Coating mix for fish, pork, or chicken ( Gluten free version)

Everyone is familiar with packaged coating mixes for making  'oven fried' chicken, or breaded fish or pork chops. I have always prefered to make my own versions, which are lower in salt, and have no preservatives, (or less preservatives). For many years I have made bread crumbs from the unwanted ends of loaves of bread. I allow them to dry out on the counter, then crush them in the blender, and store in an airtight container. I do occasionally buy bread crumbs, but they are made from white bread, and I prefer to buy whole wheat bread, so I like to make my own bread crumbs. Another really delicious wayto make crumbs is to grind up dried out crescent rolls. That buttery flavour is delicious is a coating mix.

**To make gluten free coatings, there are two substitutions for the bread crumbs, and both are easily available. Corn flakes and some brands of rice cereal are gluten free, and can easily be turned into crumbs to make delicious and crunchy coatings. some versions of Cheerios brand cereals are also gluten free. I learned recently, (spring 2017), that Kellogs brand Rice Krispies are not GF, as they add a barley malt to colour the rice. Please use caution when choosing your crumb ingredients.

To make a breading mix, I combine a cup of crumbs with a variety of spices. The kind of spices changes depending on what you will use the coating for. Each time it is unique, as I don't measure anything.

Chicken - I use poultry seasoning, or a mixture of thyme and sage to add to the basic seasonings. Other options are oregano, chervil, or marjoram.

Fish - I use a dried lemon zest with dill or taragon, added to the basic seasonings.

Pork - I use sage most often, but sometimes ground rosemary or oregano added to the basic seasonings.

There is no end to the variety of seasonings you can try. If you like heat in your food - as in spicy - add some crushed red peppers to the dry mix or some hot sauce to your liquid. Have fun trying new tastes. Food should be more than just a means to survive, it should be something you enjoy eating.

What you need:  1 cup of crumbs; [1 Tbs onion powder; 1 Tbs garlic powder; 2 tsp parsley; 1 tsp ground black pepper; 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp salt;]* 1 Tbs of combined spices. A liquid - ( can be whisked egg with milk, juice, broth, or even plain water).
*the basic seasonings.
What you do: Prepare your dry ingredients by placing into a large zip type bag. Shake well to mix. Place the liquid into a shallow dish. Dip your prepared pieces into the liquid you have chosen, and
shake slightly, then place into the zip bag and shake to coat evenly. Remove and place onto a plate, until all the pieces are coated. Cook in the oven or frying pan as usual.
If baking pieces. I place 1/4 cup of butter or margarine in the baking dish, and place into the oven for a few minutes to melt. Then I add the coated pieces, and baste with the melted fat before baking. Turn the pieces over half way through the cooking time, and baste again.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment