Wednesday 15 May 2013

Baked Oatmeal from Steel Cut Oats

Twice a month I have the privilege of cooking breakfast for the students at one of the high schools in my home town. I always go in the day before and ask the kids, "What do you want for breakfast tomorrow?" Yesterday, one of the boys replied with something I had never heard of - baked oatmeal. I said I had never heard of it, and did he have a recipe. He said what was in his, but didn't have amounts. I told him I would 'Google' it. So I went home and search the Internet. WOW! Was I surprised to see there lots of recipes on line for baked oatmeal. On one site - which just happens to be a blog similar to mine, there was a comment asking if the writer had a version for using steel cut oats instead of rolled oats. Since I use steel cut oats myself, I was interested in her reply. The writer said that it would need a lot of 'tweaking' because steel cut oats take a lot longer to cook, and need more liquid. I decided to try to make baked oatmeal with steel cut oats, and it was a big hit! Here is my version.

What you need:  2 cups of steel cut oats; 2 large eggs; 3 cups (2%) milk; 2 tsp vanilla; a pinch of salt; 1 tsp baking powder; 1½ cups of dried blueberries.

What you do. Preheat your oven to 325°  F

In a large bowl, use a whisk to beat the eggs. Add milk and whisk together. Add vanilla, salt and baking powder, and whisk again. Add the steel cut oats, and blueberries, and stir. Grease a 9 x 11 baking dish. Pour in the mixture, spreading oats out carefully with a spatula. cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1:40  to 2 hours. Cut into squares. Place each square in a bowl and pour milk over to serve. Steel cut oats have a wonderful nutty flavour and a texture quite different from rolled oats.  Enjoy.


If you have never used steel cut oats, you can make baked oatmeal using rolled oats instead -( do not use instant oatmeal).You will need to reduce the milk to 2 cups. Bake at 375 ° F for 45 - 50 minutes.

Today, since I only had skim milk, I substituted some of the milk for whipping cream, about 3/4 of a cup, to add a little richness.

No comments:

Post a Comment