Wednesday 8 May 2013

Easy Taco Salad -- Gluten free option

Easy Taco Salad

My family has always loved a supper we called burritos, although soft taco would have been a more accurate name. We would have tortillas with a spiced blend of ground beef topped with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. I discovered that many restaurants serve a similar dish in a tortilla bowl and call it taco salad.  Since I do not want the deep fried tortilla bowl, I have substituted a plain whole wheat tortilla, although most of the family prefer white ones. I also really enjoy the multigrain tortillas.

Now that I have an empty nest, and Wil is working out of town, I am often cooking for 1 person -instead of 6, and need to shrink my recipes accordingly. This is a very quick and easy to make dinner for one, and you can multiply by the number of servings you wish to make. This is easy to convert to a gluten free dinner, as when I bought my tortillas today, I saw packages of gluten free tortillas on the shelf. Corn is gluten free, of course, but some corn tortillas have wheat flour in them as well.


What you need:  180 gr lean ground beef; 1/4 of a red pepper, sliced thinly; 2 Tbs of taco or Sloppy Joe seasoning mix - (or a gluten free blend of spices*); 1/4 cup water; 2 or 3 leaves of lettuce, shredded; 1 oz of cheddar cheese, shredded; 1/4 cup of chopped tomato; 1/2 an avocado, in thin slices; 1 tortilla, 10 inch size. 1/4 cup of salsa is optional.

What you do:  In a small skillet or saucepan, brown the ground beef and add the spices or seasoning mix. Add water and pepper strips. allow to simmer about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the salad blend of lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and avocado. Place the tortilla on a large plate. Add meat mixture then top with salad mix. Toss lightly. Serve at once. Goes very well with a crisp white wine sangria. You can add any other kind of veggie you like to your salad. I do not use any dressing, as the meat has plenty of juice to moisten the salad ingredients.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment